Im leaving Qnap

Berätta om dina erfarenheter med QNAPs produkter
Thaisen

Im leaving Qnap

Post by Thaisen »

As a sworn Qnap user of almost 4 years, I have had enough
There is now doubt at the Qnap line of product comes with the strongest set of features.
But it is by far the most fragile and piggy server i have ever had.
My first TS-201 died on me at 19 mont of age, after a failed FW upgrade, and with no recovery mode,
all that was left was i useless brick. Migrating datas from the old drives to a new in my replacement TS-410
was a night mare, due to a strange partition structure i had to move the date via R-Linux to local HD and from that to
TS-410 (the only solution according to qnap support) now ever since there have ben released a new firmware my ts-410
have had problems, the Hard dives that i picket because the were on the good-list have been dumbed to the no-good list.
causing qnap support to dismiss every problem to the brand of HD, so i changes HD only problem is that non of the good drives
are posible to get in Denmark due to them being end of line. so i picked a succesor to a drive that were on the good list.
now im leaving qnap support not responding, anyting but i link to the list of HD that are alle end of line.
After FW update to 3.5.x i have had a webserver not working leaving all servises using this useless, multimedia station could not find
any thing on the harddrive, and Downloadstation don't show any of the jobs that are running but never apears in the list on qGet og downloadstation. Qnap support asked med to do a bed block scan again, even thoug a told them i had just dit so. seven days later
it reurnd good. and still nothing is working. So i payed a linux it-supporter to try to fix it. an just about 10 minutes i found out that
alle og the files and folders rights have been fucket up. leaving web-user out. so he did in just about 15 minuts what Fred from qnap support could not. I still have the problem with downloadstation. and no help from qnap support.
If i know may way around with linux and terminal. i shure would not be frustrated. but i do not. and i rether have a NAS with fewer featuers that just work, then grew used to features the qnap support are unwilling to fix for four month. I had i good year with my TS-410
and will miss the features from when it worked. But i will never miss the headache of dealing with qnap support.
sgatke

Re: Im leaving Qnap

Post by sgatke »

Hi Thaisen

I am sorry to hear about your bad experiences with Qnap.
First, let me tell you I am not a 'Qnap preacher'. I am perfectly aware that there are excellent alternatives to a Qnap NAS unit.
However, I have personally had very good experience with my own Qnap TS-439 and the Qnap units we use at our clients, are for the most part, performing rather well.
We have had 1 (one!) unit failing. This will happen to all brands once in a while. However, what I am personally very happy about is the great and helpful community associated with Qnap.
The issues we have had, have all been solved by help of the community and the pretty well documented Qnap materials. An example of the great documentation can be seen here: http://docs.qnap.com/nas/en/system_migration.htm
We have had no interaction with Qnap support, simply because it has not been necessary. I am not able to tell you if Qnap support is better or worse than its competitors. In my eyes, the documentation and community is absolutely top-value compared to the price of the units.

I have never experienced *serious problems* upgrading Qnap firmware. I always do a complete backup of the device, before I upgrade the firmware. That is not a guarantee that others will not have issues, and unfortunately you seem to have had your share of problems.
Regarding harddrives and the compatibility list: Things change. It is impossible for Qnap (or any other vendor) to have a complete list of compatible hardware. New errors can pop up - we also had a set of drives that suddenly were moved to the "not recommended" part, but were previously on the approved hardware. In these situations, you have two choices: Keep the drives and take the risk, or swap the drives to a new set. I don't see how you can blame Qnap for updating a compatibility list when information changes. The world is not a static place :-)

If you have any trust left in your Qnap device, I would recommend you to post about your issues in the forums. The community really IS very helpful (provided you are able to describe your issues).

For your information, I run several websites on my TS-439. It is also used as an FTP server, media repository for a media center and a Western Digital WDTV box, and it is used as a surveillance station with a wireless attached motion detecting camera. So I know a Qnap device can handle a lot :-)

I hope you have it in you to give your qnap device one more chance.

Best wishes.
Thaisen

Post by Thaisen »

I owe to update that my continues posts on the support forum. Have prompted QNAP Alan from support
to have a good log at my device. Witch now means that my TS-410 is running as new.
I am of course very happy for the turns on that matters. But would have liked QNAP in the first place
not holding me off with dismissing the issue as a HD-problem. Witch that due to many stories in the support-forum
an many cases do. I know that the world is not a static place. And it sure is better to dump a HD from the "good" list
than act like nothing. That is actually why i in the first place no questions asked replaced all my HD.
But intense internet-search i could not find any were to bye a single of the drives on the good list.
So i went for a successor to one where all previously line of that model were all on the "good"-list. with same FW as the newer one on the
"good"-list, and made sure that I at least picked one the were not on the "bad"'-list. Now right away that drive gave me the same problem.
after migrating, so made i clean install, still the same problem. Now i removed the HD. booting up without HD, still same problem.
And again QNAP dismiss the problem as the HD, even thou i write to them that it also occurs with no HD in the nas.
So the asked med to scan for bad-blocks, witch seven days later returns no errors. I get back to QNAP telling them this.
and the tell me that the will not help until i got new HDs.
I posted on the support-forum, but have like the five or six other with same kind of problem not got any help.
So yes i'm glad QNAP Allan realized that if the problem is there without HD it could not be a HD problem.
He loged on, and within to minutes all were good.
I Just don't get why Fred from QNAP in the first place didn't take time to log on the the system and check all the config files.
would have saved med two month of trouble.
Yes i agree the for the price QNAP have the strongest feature set. But it is also the piggiest about witch HD. and the weakest compatibility list.
And with a chance support just sed you bye new HD when ever you have a problem to witch the forum can not give you an answer.
It think its best keeping my TS alive for as long posible, but unless things have changes at that time, it will not be replaced with a QNAP.
sgatke

Post by sgatke »

I am glad to hear your Qnap is up and running again.
I hope you don't run into any more problems with your unit or your harddrives.

Cheers :-)